At Longtown Primary School, we have a strong school ethos that actively promotes British Values. Our curriculum provides a wealth of opportunities to engage in British Values. We take a holistic approach, which allows us to embed British Values throughout the school. We also actively promote British Values through our whole school and class assemblies and weekly discussion of Primary Picture News.
A key part of our plan for education is to ensure children become valuable and fully rounded members of society who treat others with respect, in preparation for life in modern Britain.
The four British Values are:
- Rule of Law
- Individual Liberty
- Mutual respect and tolerance for those with different faiths and beliefs
Children at Longtown Primary School will learn:
- An understanding of how citizens can influence decision-making through the democratic process.
- An understanding that the freedom to hold other faiths and beliefs is protected in law.
- An acceptance that people having different faiths and beliefs to oneself (or having none) should be accepted and tolerated, and should not be the cause of discriminatory behaviour.
- An understanding of the importance of identifying and combating discrimination.